How to make a protein-containing product (of any kind) MORE strong/intense:
1) Leave it on for more time (5, 15, or 30 minutes - if your hair really loves protein, maybe 60 minutes). More time allows small, penetrating-size proteins to soak in, medium-size proteins more time to bond with hair.
2) Use heat. Heat causes wet hair to swell slightly - creating more surface for proteins to bond with and allows more "soaking in" of small proteins
How to make a protein-containing product (of any kind) LESS strong/intense:
1) Leave it on for less time
2) Don't use heat
How do I know how strong these are?
- Protein treatment: Product with a higher concentration of protein, will be more "strong" in any method of application.
- Protein-containing conditioner: A conditioner which has protein added in a lower concentration than a protein treatment. Includes protein-containing deep conditioners which aren't labeled "protein treatments," "protein packs," or "intensive strengthening."
- If protein is in the first 5 or 6 ingredients listed, it's a strong treatment.
- Refer to this post to find out whether the protein is large or small - combinations of several large proteins can be more problematic than combinations of small and medium proteins. I don't have molecular weight for all the vegetable proteins. Corn and soy tend to be medium, hydrating and conditioning. Oat, wheat, and quinoa proteins tend to be large and supportive (there are some smaller wheat proteins out there) - good in styling products. Amino acids are small and hydrating. "Vegetable protein" - anybody's guess!
Now that's all out of the way, the list:
- Nutress Hair Moisturizing Protein Pack - Vegetable protein (quaternized to make it extra conditioning)
- Nutress Stop Break (spray) - Wheat or vegetable protein (ingredient lists are difficult to come by)
- Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Conditioner - Corn, soy and wheat proteins
- Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Shampoo - Corn, soy and wheat proteins
- Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Reconstructing Strength Butter - Corn, soy and wheat proteins
- Hydratherma Naturals Moisture Boosting Deep Conditioning Treatment - Wheat protein
- Giovanni Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Infusion - Soy protein
- Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner - Soy protein
- Hugo Naturals Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner, Vanilla and Sweet Orange - Rice protein
- Mane N Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner - Wheat protein
- Mill Creek Fantastic Silver Conditioner - Soy protein
- Nature's Gate Conditioners:
- Awapuhi - Soy, Vegetable proteins
- Lemongrass and Clary Sage Volumizing - Wheat protein
- Pomegranate Sunflower Hair Defense - Soy, Vegetable proteins
- Chamomile Repleneshing Conditioner - Soy, Vegetable proteins
- Nature's Gate Shampoos:
- Awapuhi Volumizing Shampoo Soy protein
- Biotin Strengthening Shampoo - Soy, Vegetable proteins
- Lemongrass and Clary Sage Volumizing Shampoo - Wheat protein
- Ouidad Botanical Boost spray - Corn, wheat proteins
- Shea Moisture Noni & Monoi Smoothing and Repair Masque - Vegetable protein